The Geological Survey of Finland
Channeling the key resources to the main goals
The Geological Survey of Finland, GTK, is a national research center operating under The Ministry of Employment and the Economy. The institute of Geological specialists manages and follows their key goals’ progress in LATO Strategy Tool.
– The goal setting and reporting related to our yearly planning involves many people and takes up some time. It is important that we really benefit of this effort during the year, says Development Director Jarmo Kohonen at GTK.
– When we implemented LATO Strategy Tool, our main goal was to have a full view based on a transparent follow-up system for all goals and initiatives of different units, Kohonen continues. In addition to the main operative goals GTK has a wide portfolio of project initiatives and several financing sources setting their own challenges to the reporting and follow-up routines. Also, the main goals require different activities and time frames in different levels of the organization.
The Geological Survey of Finland, GTK, is a European centre of excellence in assessment, research and sustainable use of earth resources. The mission is to produce and disseminate geological information for industry and society that promotes systematic and sustainable use of crustal resources and the national geological endowment. GTK’s research programmes are geared to creation of innovative technology and applications
Goal-oriented expert organization
Jarmo Kohonen emphasizes the role of the tool in channeling work efforts of expert organization:
– Our organization is formed by experts. For us, the most important way to secure that we reach our main goals is to channel the key people resources to the most important activities.
– We wanted to have one common reporting system across the organization. However, different organizational levels have different requests for reporting. While as in the Management Team quarter is a suitable cycle, the unit’s ongoing initiatives are followed every month.
– We now have a remarkably simpler and easier reporting process. We can take out different views for different reporting levels from the same data and all the activities, goals and initiatives and their status is available in one central source.
You could be interested
Valmet’s Management Team defines the corporate level must-win battles which are then cascaded into initiatives and actions and assigned for execution to different line management organizations and business areas. LATO provides the framework and plays a major role in reporting and follow-up as well as in pointing out the need for a change in direction.
Mtech Digital Solutions decided to deploy the LATO Strategy Tool to boost strategy communication and implementation. The company’s goal was that the chosen solution should remove the mysticism around the strategy: the strategy had to be transparent, the priorities had to be clear and it needed to help the staff to understand the connection between their own and the company’s goals.
Posintra launched LATO in early 2017. According to Topi Haapanen, the reporting process of company results and operations had been developed already before LATO introduction. However, Posintra repeatedly heard messages that the company’s goals and activities were unknown to important stakeholders.